Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer

I remember when June meant that the skies would clear and the sun would shine from 6 a.m. until 9 at night. I remember the freedom of playing outside in shorts and a top or a sundress and never having to think about staying dry or deal with the glowering clouds hanging right overhead.

I remember hating Victoria for the lack of sunshine and wanting more than anything to be back in a place where I could rely on a series of sunny days, not just one or half of one every two weeks.

I am a person who requires sunlight.

The East no longer recieves it.

I have been in Boston for a month - we have had maybe 5 sunny days the whole time. For the most part I have managed to maintain a pleasant demeanor. I stay busy, make jokes, cook and clean and help pack out the house - when it dries up for a few hours I explore the city.

I have explored the city three times - no more than that.

Many of my friends say they are quite happy in the rain. I want to say emphatically, I am not.
I hate the rain. Hate it. It makes me want to slap somebody and if it doesn't bloody well stop soon I might just do that.

No comments: