Friday, June 19, 2009

Grocery Addendum

I have asked the people at the grocery store what happened to that woman every time we've gone since we saw her accident.

Nobody knows.

One of the big problems with how we live right now and maybe one of the strengths in some ways, is that we have such strangely truncated communities.

That woman and her deadly accident are part of this Boston community, I know she will never be wiped from my memory. I hope she recovered or that her family was able to get to the hospital (more likely, I think) but I will never know for sure.

Part of what makes the idea of people I love travelling or taking any risk at all is that fact. The idea that someone I cherish might become an anonymous wounded person, dependant on the mercy of strangers, frightens me and makes me feel helpless and lost.

The man I love is travelling today. Very far. I am trying to have faith that he will be fine. After all, more often than not, people do travel safely.

But I am still praying and still just a little on edge.

How do we ever learn to let anyone we love do a single thing alone?

The risks are so enormous.

pray pray pray.

No comments: