Tuesday, January 18, 2011

yoga diary

You'd have to go a very long way to find someone as inwardly resistant to going with the flow as I am.

To give you an idea, I've been back from Austin for 18 days now and haven't completely unpacked. In fact, I am taking clean socks and underwear out of 2009's luggage, the largest case of which sits unzipped on a plastic tub beside my desk. Once I have decided something's happening, I don't change course. I may go over the rapids, hell - I have gone over the falls more than once but changing course is not something I do.

Still, I made a promise to myself this year and it involved creating a kind of acceptance of flow in my life. I promised something small and non-threatening. I promised I'd do some yoga every day.

It's day 18 of that promise and so far, I've kept it. It's not the keeping that matters though, it's what it's doing.

During my daily yoga hour this morning a door opened and started me thinking down logical paths, currents, rivulets - flowing toward more sane, sensible attitudes to life, letting the light back in.

I will never be a yogini by any stretch. I'm frustrated by the work of it. Every single day I come close to talking myself out of it. One of the very best ways to do that is to tell myself I don't have time.

Well, while I was doing yoga - solutions popped up, ideas popped up and a media memo rewrote itself. I saved myself about half a day's effort.

Wanted to say that before I got down to it because in saving myself that half day's work I also realized where I am in the process of work for a whole bunch of other pressing things - so, down to it.

Yoga works.

Maybe I should rethink this "flow" thing.

No comments: