Monday, May 9, 2011

Candor

Suddenly, in the last few days, people have started paying attention to this little blog.

Up until now, except for the six of you, I assumed it was going completely unnoticed. I have used this blog as a diary, a place to rant, a place to think - generally speaking I think of it as singing scales into a cave. It's an exercise that benefits me by the practice because it goes somewhere but it hasn't felt real.

So I apologize to the six who have followed it and introduce myself anew to those who have just found it.

My last entry mentioned a lot of uncertainty around work - all of that turned out to be a coincidence. The interwebs were acting up and everything went down at once. That very same night I was taken to dinner by that very same employer and asked to recommit.

Things change every day. I think that is true for everyone.

So the question becomes, how does one write and reach down into that deep well of honesty that is supposed to make the work strong and resonant and good?

I am trying to bring some music, however plodding, to the mundane details of life in this blog. I am trying to dig up as much honesty as I can. I am trying to be brave enough about it to understand I am not heroic or even sensible all the time. Who is?

Spring has started to edge its way into the city. The trees are netted with a transparent haze of green, in a week, there will be leaves but not yet. The reason I called this blog ice lolly is way back in the first entry if you want to know. It has a lot to do with the weather and a little to do with humor.

There are some new realities that will doubtless be coming up in this blog - the Conservative majority government is one, my ambivalence about Ottawa is another. Travel does seem to be a constant theme and I do not expect that to change much. Without a doubt, the people in my life will turn up from time to time, how can they not? But I should say, the new guy, he's asked for some discretion and so I will try to comply with that request where I can.

For the most part this blog is about the world reflected through an ordinary life in an ordinary place by an ordinary woman. Maybe it's like your life. Maybe there are some differences. Please feel free to comment on anything you wish. I always do.

No comments: