Friday, March 11, 2011

Yoga diary - entry 21

Here it is March 11, and I haven't been here since the first. I suppose one thing that tells you is that my practice has become part of my day. It's regular and so "normal" to me that writing about it daily would be like writing about brushing my teeth or how I slept the night previous.

But it is in these moments, I think, that we are most at risk of losing what we value.

I reminded myself as I was in the midst of a sun salutation today, that reaching as hard and as far as I can in this routine, stretching myself and making it into a deep, sweaty workout is something I do for my own benefit. Yoga allows me to eat more or less what I want and still see my body becoming stronger, fitter and leaner on a day by day basis. Doing yoga means I am not out of breath when I take the stairs, it gives me back the ability to go on walks for as long as I want. It makes sex better, much better, it frees me of the guilt I used to feel about getting exercise or not getting it. It makes me calmer and improves my balance, it insures against aches, pains and stiffness and after yoga, like after orgasm, my lips are full and red, my cheeks are rosy and my eyes are bright.

These are things I value - this is life. Yoga gives me life. It's not a chore.

So today, I was reminded to enjoy the things that make everything else possible. Enjoy work, enjoy writing, enjoy showering and sleeping and cultivating caring relationships, enjoy time alone to think, enjoy the cool of spring, the slow passage of time (as well as the swift) because these are the things that make anything exciting possible.

I have let go of regret and of bitterness too and maybe I'll mention here, I've started talking to someone who interests me and challenges and comforts me all at the same time.

It's all good.

Live in it.

That's my lesson for today.

No comments: