Monday, November 3, 2008

While I realize these pictures may not be absolutely fascinating, right now I'm just getting started on this bloggy thing. It will improve once I get the hang of it but for now, I'm going ahead and adding anything that strikes me as remotely interesting in order to form the habit.

I think, as human creatures, we like to make little niches for things and form habits in ways of being that are comfortable by repetition. I don't know anyone who is really a big fan of change although I do know quite a few people who think and say they are. I am coming to terms with this in my own life. It's a gradual process.

Ottawa is not big on gradual processes. Things here change overnight. We have an election and things change dramatically even if they don't change. We slide into winter at a fairly predictable rate only to have a few days of summer weather dropped into the middle of the week.

Tomorrow it will be sunny and room temperature outside, today we had freezing rain. I used to think it was because I am from the moderate, temperate, mild west coast that I found these weather swings to be so jarring - now I think it is only because I am human.

On a related note - am I the only person who feels assaulted when the CBC cranks the volume for their hourly news broadcasts? If this is a marketing ploy to get people to pay attention to their news programming or a means of trying to create drama someone really should tell them it is backfiring. Same goes for "brightening" volume on commercials on television - all it does is ensure people create strategies for muting the offending parts of the broadcast. And of course, this is because people don't like to have their comfort level challenged for reasons that do not relate to them - we don't much care for change.

No comments: