Thursday, February 3, 2011

yoga diary - Day 14 & 15

Downward facing dog is becoming a resting pose for me. That's a good sign.

My mind is always wandering during my practice that's not so good. I am still wondering if this is ever going to make a real difference. I'm up to 28 days interrupted only by my body's non-negotiable demands and I feel less sure that I understand the benefits of this every day.

I think that might be natural. Human beings seem uniquely capable of finding something good, making it part of their lives and then looking around for a bigger thrill, a better thing - more. I think that's why some people reach a point in a love relationship where they just can't help but start flirting and/or cheating or at least getting close to it. There's no excitement in something that is consistently good, it becomes nearly invisible. The sizzle, the zing, the thrill - all that comes from starting something new and seeing the potential in it from the first try.

So this is a lull. To add to it, it reflects a lull in my own life as things move slowly toward a resolution. I am trying to understand that while I might be doing all of this for a resolution and hoping to launch into a new phase of life, that phase will also level off and become familiar.

The sequence is still challenging, I still break into a sweat by the halfway point, warrior pose and goddess warrior still challenge me to the point where I feel I can't hold the pose for even one more breath. The work is being done and that must mean the benefit follows but maybe that's it - the benefit follows the work and that makes the work harder.

There are people in my life, some of them very close, who would really benefit themselves and me too if they could grasp this simple lesson but for the moment, I am only capable of learning it for myself.

So I did my practice, put the X on the calendar, had my shower and went on with the day.

No comments: